Bitter gourd is also known as karela. It is a bitter vegetable which is known to have many benefits. It is consumed in different ways. Some people like to cook it as a vegetable while some like to consume its juice to get its pure health benefits. It is quite bitter in taste and many find it hard to eat. Although not a popular vegetable for its taste, this gourd has several health benefits and consuming its juice on a regular basis can help to fight diabetes as well.
Benefits of bitter gourd juice
- Bitter gourd juice helps to detoxify the liver and cleanse it. This helps to improve digestion and also get rid of toxins.
- Consuming bitter gourds juice also helps to purify the blood and this, in turn, helps to reverse skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It reduces the inflammation within the body and eliminates any infections or germs from the digestive tract.
- Along with managing the blood sugar levels, bitter gourd juice also helps in weight loss. It has a very high fibre content.
Here is a simple recipe to make bitter gourd juice:
You will need:
- 3-4 fresh bitter gourds
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of jaggery
- 2 cups of water
- Wash the bitter gourds thoroughly.
- Peel off their skin.
- Make sure you pick fresh bitter gourds. These should be a white color from the inside. If they are yellow from the inside then do not use them for making the juice.
- Remove the seeds and the rind from the middle of the gourds and cut them into smaller chunks.
- Now add the chunks to a blender along with the rest of the ingredients except jaggery.
- Blend on high speed for at least 2 minutes.
- Strain the juice using a sieve. The juice you obtain will be the concentrate.
- To dilute it, add one cup of water to 1/4th cup of the bitter gourd juice concentrate.
- Add some jaggery for natural sweetness.
- Mix well and consume this juice daily in the morning.
Bitter gourd juice smoothie
You will need:
- 1 cup of chopped pears
- 1 cup of chopped apples
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- ½ cup of bitter gourd juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 cup of coconut water
- Simply add all the ingredients to a blender.
- Blend on high speed for at least 2minutes until there are no more fruit chunks left.
- Consume this smoothie 2-3 times a week.
- Since it also has some fruits and honey, you may give this to children as well.
Bitter gourd and orange peel powder for the face
Bitter gourd contains strong enzymes which help to get rid of dirt present on the skin. Orange peel powder helps to brighten the skin.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder
- I tablespoon of fullers earth
- 1 bitter gourd
- Peel the bitter gourd and de-seed it.
- Add to a blender and blend for a minute until you get a paste.
- Take 2 tablespoons of this paste and add the orange peel powder as well as the fuller’s earth to it.
- Mix until a smooth paste is formed.
- Now apply the paste on your face.
- Wash it off with plain water after 15 minutes.
- Follow this remedy once a week.