Natural Bleaching of hair is one process that involves the use of natural ingredients on your hair to color your hair or make your hair color lighter. Bleaching mixture works by breaking through hair shafts and oxidizing the pigments that give color to your hair.
Vinegar– Vinegar is an excellent bleaching agent without any side effects. It contains whitening agents which can help change your hair shade.
- You will need 3 tablespoons vinegar, a few drops of lemon and 1 cup water.
- Stir the ingredients well and store them in a spray bottle.
- Damp your hair wet before spraying the mixture on your hair or spray it on your hair after a shower.
- Leave it on and expose your head to the sun
- This may take over two weeks and it is recommended that you don’t spray it on your hair every day.
Lemon- Lemon carries a fresh fragrance, bitter taste and has the ability to bleach your hair. Acids in lemon are quite strong, hence, it lightens your hair comparatively faster. The difference is noticeable within a week.
- Take the juice of two lemons and ½ cup water.
- Mix both the ingredients well
- Spray the mixture on your hair and let it dry.
- It is preferred to expose your hair to the sun for a good amount of time.
Henna– henna powder is traditionally used to colour the hair. It also has nourishing, hair lightening and conditioning properties.
- Take one cup henna powder and boiling water.
- Add enough boiling water to the henna powder and make a paste.
- Use gloves and a brush to apply the thick paste on your hair.
- Leave it on for an hour or more depending upon what suits your hair.
- Wash it away with plain water, shampoo and a conditioner.
- You can then spray lemon juice on your hair.
Honey and olive oil– honey is a natural lightening agent that can bleach and nourish your hair. Honey and olive oil help to balance the ph level of your scalp and suits all hair types.
- Take 1 cup of raw organic honey, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon each of grounded cinnamon and cardamom powder.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl properly.
- Damp your hair with water.
- Apply the mixture to your damp hair using a brush.
- After applying it cover your hair with plastic wrap or a showering cap.
- Leave the mixture on overnight
- Rinse it off in the morning
Honey and Vinegar– vinegar is a good lightening agent while honey helps to balance the ph level and reduce irritation in the hair. It also carries some lightening properties that bleach your hair.
- Take 2 cups of vinegar, 1 cup raw organic honey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and some amount of cinnamon.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and stir it well with a hairbrush.
- Damp your hair with little water.
- Apply the paste with the hairbrush to damp hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and wait for 4 hours or leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair with plain water (at normal temperature).
Chamomile Tea– is a rarely known hair lightening agent. This tea naturally contains whitening pigment.
- You will need chamomile tea and hair conditioner
- First, brew a pot full of chamomile tea for at least half an hour. Make sure the tea is strong then leave it (tea) to cool.
- Blend the tea in your hair conditioner and let it settle for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Wash your hair as you do regularly.
- Apply this mixture on your hair.
- Chamomile works slowly. So, one will have to wait for at least 2-3 weeks to see the results.
Baking Soda– it is one of the best bleaching agents and is easily available. When baking soda is mixed with lemon (which contains vitamin C and hydrogen peroxide) it has the ability to lighten your hair.
- Take 1 tablespoon of baking soda and add water to it.
- Stir the mixture well and squeeze some amount of lemon juice into it to make it more effective.
- Sprinkle the mixture on your hair and expose your hair to the sun for at least an hour.
- Later rinse your hair with plain water at room temperature.
Cinnamon– it has amazing hair lightening/bleaching properties and also leaves an aroma behind.
- You will require 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of hair conditioner.
- Apply the mixture to your hair like you apply shampoo from the scalp to the tip.
- You can use a comb so that you can apply it evenly.
- After applying cover your hair with a shower cap or a plastic wrap.
- Leave the mixture on overnight and then rinse it off.
Vitamin C– this can remove hair colour by making it lighter. It bears abundant citric acid which is responsible for lightening your hair. It is found in numerous hair products and you can mix it with your homemade bleach as well. There are two direct ways you could use it
- Take 10 vitamin C pills and crush them into a powdered texture.
- Mix the powder with your shampoo and let it settle.
- Wait for fifteen minutes.
- Wash your hair with the mixture-like you do regularly.
Another way to use vitamin C directly is by using it with hair oil especially almond oil.
- Take 1 vitamin C pill and crush it.
- Take a few drops of almond oil and mix the crushed pill with it.
- Massage your hair with the mixture for 10 minutes. Make sure you cover all your hair from the root to the tip.
- Let it rest overnight and then wash it off in the morning.
Mayonnaise and Avocado– avocado is a creamy green fruit that has the ability to smoothen your hair making it strong and giving it a shine. Mayonnaise helps strengthen, moisturize and soften your hair and also leaves a good shine.
- Take two scoops of avocado pulp and ½ cup of mayonnaise.
- Blend the ingredients into a thick creamy pulp.
- It is preferred to use your hands to apply the paste on your hair. Start with the tip and then proceed upwards.
- Let it dry for an hour or so, as it suits your hair.
- Wash it off with shampoo and a conditioner.
- You may have to repeat this procedure more than five times to see results.
Tomato– tomato puree can be used as a natural bleaching agent. It is rich in vitamin C and hydrogen peroxide.
- Take one tomato and some almond oil
- Squeeze the tomato juice into a bowl and add a few drops of almond oil.
- Grind it into a thick paste.
- Apply the paste evenly all over your hair and let it dry.
- For about an hour and a half expose your hair to the sun.
- Rinse it away with plain water and then use a conditioner.
Papaya– Papaya is rich in vitamins (especially vitamin C) and minerals. It makes your hair strong and conditions your hair.
- Mash papaya into a bowl and blend it into a thick paste.
- You can add some yogurt to it.
- Blend the mixture and rub it on your hair from you scalp to your tips.
- Let it rest for 1 hour
- Rinse it off with water and then shampoo regularly.
Milk and egg– Egg is high in protein and sulphur. This is the easiest and healthiest way to bleach your hair. It is easily available at home and gives your hair strength and shine.
- Take 3 eggs and break them into a bowl and add 3 tablespoons milk to it, also add 2 teaspoons of olive oil or lavender oil.
- Mix the ingredients efficiently using a hairbrush.
- Apply the mixture to your hair with a brush and cover it with a shower cap.
- Let it wait for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Then wash it using a shampoo and apply conditioner.
Salt and lemon– salt enhances the effect of lemon, it contains whitening properties which brighten your hair and give it a shine.
- Take 2 teaspoons of salt, juice of 1 whole lemon and some water.
- Stir all the ingredients till they dissolve completely.
- Spray or sprinkle the mixture on your hair, you can use your comb so that you avoid strangling your hair.
- Let it stay. Do not cover your hair, expose them to light.
- Rinse it off after 3-4 hours.
Milk, baking powder and avocado– this is an all-rounder mixture. Avocado helps to repair hair damage. It hydrates your hair and helps in lightening your hair. Milk is used to balances the effect of baking powder and avocado on the hair.
- Take 1 ripe avocado, scooped out its pulp, to this add 2 tablespoons of milk and 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Grind the mixture well into a thick paste.
- Scrub the mixture on your scalp and your hair.
- Let them dry for 2 hours; cover your head with a shower cap.
- Then rinse your hair with water and shampoo your hair.
Coconut milk and banana– We all know coconut milk is very efficient for overall hair health. Banana makes your hair strong and lightens your hair. Adding some amount of hydrogen peroxide to this mix will enhance the bleaching process.
- Take the separated coconut flesh and grind it in a grinder.
- Add some water and grind it again. Then separate the juice.
- Mash bananas in another container.
- Take 1 tablespoon baking powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well, you can use your hands to mix it well.
- Apply the paste on your hair, from the scalp to your tips.
- Cover your hair with a towel or a shower cap and let it rest for 2-3 hours (as it suits your hair).
- Rinse your hair with water and shampoo your hair.
Bleach powder and coconut oil– bleach powder does not suit everyone. Hence, it needs to be balanced by using coconut oil which provides strength to your hair.
- Take 2 tablespoons of bleaching powder( you will get it easily from the market). Add 3 tablespoons coconut oil to it.
- Make a paste by stirring the ingredients well.
- Apply it to your damp hair using a hairbrush.
- Let it rest till it is dry.
- Then use a blow-dryer to apply more heat.
- Shampoo your hair like you do regularly.
- Make sure you moisturize your hair after you wipe them dry.
Rhubarb– this works great and has no side effects and is very easy to make.
- Take ½ cup chopped Rhubarb plus 2 cups of water.
- Boil the Rhubarb in water at 90 degrees C.
- Strain the boiled water and rhubarb
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Apply the rinse to your hair and wait for 10-20 minutes.
- Then just wash your hair with plain water.
Yogurt honey and distilled water– yogurt and honey, is too mild a mixture, however, when mixed with distilled water it can result in a considerable amount of colour change.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey and ½ cup distilled water.
- After blending all the ingredients well into a paste, let it settle for ten minutes.
- Apply the mixture on your hair using your hands so that you can reach every part of your hair.
- Then let it dry for 1 hour, it is preferred that you expose your hair to the sun.
- Wash it off with shampoo and conditioner.
- Make sure your hair is healthy (moisturised) before you bleach them.
- Never paint the bleach (containing hydrogen peroxide, sulphur, bicarbonate soda) directly to your scalp.
- Use conditioner every time you wash your hair.
- Do not wash your hair every day, allow the oil in your hair to build so that it efficiently nourishes and protects your hair from damage.
- Avoid blow-drying or ironing your hair at least in the first week after bleaching them. Stay away from heat as much as possible.
- When you have to bleach again try focusing only on the new hair growth.
- Bleaching methods that contain acids and other hazardous ingredients must not be used more than once a week.
Myths and Facts
Myth: Bleaching your hair causes hair damage.
Fact: Bleaching your hair in the right way will not damage your hair. Do not overuse bleach. Try applying it on a separate patch before using it. Ammonia present in the bleach is one reason for hair damage and the new products in the market are ammonia-free hence there is nothing to worry about.
Myth: Bleaching is another way of colouring your hair.
Fact: Bleaching does not colour your hair it only lightens your hair for instance brown to blonde. It lightens your hair up to 8 shades. Yes its effects differ from person to person and the strength of the bleach.
Myth: Bleach can make your hair dry.
Fact: Bleached hair does not get dry if taken care of. It can be managed by using deep conditioning and hair packs so that the moisture remains intact. Using the appropriate oil after bleaching will never leave your hair dry and will keep it smooth.
Myth: You must wash your hair before you bleach your hair
Fact: Bleach is strong enough to efficiently lighten your hair without a prior wash. However, for faster absorption, it is recommended that you slightly damp your hair with water. The oil in your hair protects your scalp from irritation that could be caused by the bleach.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between hair dye and hair bleach?
- Hair dye adds colour to your hair whereas hair bleach removes colour from your hair making it lighter and whiter. Bleach does not carry any colour pigment; it only lightens your hair color up to 8 shades.
How long should I wait before re-bleaching?
- The answer depends upon your hair type and the amount of bleach you use. To avoid damaging your hair, don’t use natural bleach more than thrice a week. Bleach containing vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and bleaching powder should not be used more than once a week as it is capable of damaging your hair making them brittle and dry.
How can I tell if my hair is damaged?
- When your hair gets damaged they become brittle, feel like straw, break easily and get dry, hence, looks fizzy. They lose moisture and difficult to comb leading to hair fall.
Will bleach damage my hair?
- No, bleaching will not damage your hair if done by properly following the detailed procedure. Before bleaching recognizes your hair type and bleach accordingly and always keep your hair moisturised.