Almond is popularly recognized as a dry fruit however very few are aware of the fact that the almond we eat is only the seed of an almond tree. Our almond oil is extracted from these seeds themselves. Almond oil is multi-functional it is one product you can hold your faith in. It is made from two types of almonds sweet almonds and bitter almonds which come from different trees.
What is almond oil?
This oil is hypoallergenic and rich in vitamins and minerals (iron). For its centre ingredient is the almond seed which is nutritionally dense and is therefore suitable for all skin types. It is prepared from sweet or bitter almonds (predominantly sweet almonds are preferred) formed into a texture of glycerol oil (glycerin). It is obtained from the dried nub of sweet almonds (which is assumed to have more oil content). Almond oil is filled with high dietary fibre, proteins, vitamin A which repairs vital skin tissues hence avoiding wrinkles, vitamin B which contains anti-inflammatory properties and makes your skin glow, vitamin C which improves skin texture, vitamin E that reduces the appearance of scars and dry skin, vitamin K which helps remove dark circles, minerals like calcium, iron and magnesium maintain moisture level, potassium, sodium, zinc revives your skin. Just one seed can do so much.
Preparation: Almond oil is developed by blending unroasted almonds correctly into bits. It can be processed at home as well, it involves the following steps:
- Blend the almonds using a blender place almonds in a clean and dry blender and start off at a slower speed. Blend the nut carefully. Higher speed may ruin the procedure.
- Pause the blender at regular intervals continues blending may lead the blend to form lumps and clusters. Hence it is required to be checked brought together to foster the process.
- Blend at a higher speed as the product is in process of blending you can increase the speed for better results
- Add almond oil once the nuts are blended well into a creamy texture add two tablespoons of olive oil to catalyze the mixture to make it smooth and applicable like paste.
- Stock the mixture place the mixture in a Tupperware or a glass jar and store at room temperature for a fortnight, giving enough time for the almonds to separate themselves from oil.
- Drain the product to get your ready to use product tilt the container into another container allowing the usable oil to drip in perfectly. Your ALMOND OIL is ready to use.
Uncooked almonds and a minute amount of heat is used to process almond oil, hence most of its essentials are preserved even after being processed.
To reduce dark circles and eye bags
Almond oil with honey vitamin K present in this nut oil helps remove dark circles and honey on the other hand is used to brighten and soften the skin.
- Take 6 drops of sweet almond oil (neat) with one tablespoon of pure honey without any preservatives.
- Apply the batter around the eye and gently massage the area.
- Let it rest overnight.
- Wash with lukewarm water the next morning.
- Follow this procedure regularly for at least two weeks.
Almond oil with lemon paste or rosewater rich vitamin and mineral content of almond oil and lemon or rose cleans the skin reduces stress and tries to maintain an even tone.
- Use overnight soaked almonds with squeezed lemon drops or rose water to prepare the paste
- Peel and blend the soaked almonds thoroughly to make a paste. Add lemon drops to the paste.
- Apply the paste around the eyes and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse away the dried paste off with cool water.
- Follow this process daily for three weeks.
Almond oil with castor oil contains essential fatty acids and vitamins which serve as an anti-inflammatory agent to reduce eye bags and darkened skin below the eyes.
- Wash your face clean before applying the mixture.
- Mix an equal amount of almond oil and castor oil.
- Leave it on for at least an hour or two.
- Wash your face with warm water.
- Repeat this process regularly.
To reduce Acne and Scars
Almond oil with vitamin E is an essential ingredient in curing dry skin and scars. It also repairs dry skin which mainly causes scars to appear.
- Take vitamin E oil or vitamin E capsule and mix it with 1 tablespoon of almond oil.
- Apply the mixture evenly on the face.
- Gently massage in a circular motion.
- Let it dry for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Wash with cold water and pat dry.
Almond oil with black pepper and honey black pepper is rich in antibiotic properties and is used to fight bacterial infections. Honey makes the skin soft reducing irritation. While almond oil fights impurities and locks moisture.
- Take 5 drops of almond oil with 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Mix the ingredients well to form a paste.
- Apply the paste evenly over your face and leave it dry for 10-15mins.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
For skin whitening
Almond oil milk powder this combination makes the skin fresh, silky and glowing.
- Mix milk powder with almond oil with 250 grams of milk powder and 3 tablespoons of almond oil.
- Apply the mixture over your face and scrub evenly.
- Wait for 20 minutes let the mixture soak in.
- Wash your face with water (mixed with some amount of milk powder).
Almond oil with egg white, red sandal powder and turmeric powder is an all-round combination, turmeric powder can be used to remove impurities, the mixture overall provides a glow to the face. It is also used as a de-tanning agent.
- Take 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon almond oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and red sandal powder.
- Blend the combination into a paste.
- Apply the paste evenly for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash away the mixture with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process at least 2-3 times a week, depending on your skin reaction.
Almond oil and corn bleach not only whitens the skin but also keeps the skin stay moisturized and hydrated.
- Combine cornflour, squeezed lemon and almond oil into a thick paste.
- Apply the paste evenly over the face and leave it to dry for 30 minutes.
- Scrub off the dried mixture with dry hands.
- Then gently rinse your face with warm water.
Almond oil with banana this combination improves the production of collagen and preserves the limberness of the skin. It also helps to moisturize and develop skin cells.
- Make a paste of 1 mashed banana and 1 tablespoon of almond oil
- Stir the combination well.
- Apply it over the skin and leave it alone for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it away with cold water
- Follow this process thrice a week.
Almond oil with turmeric powder it contains anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidants it is the best available anti-aging treatment.
- Mix almond oil and turmeric powder into a paste
- Massage your face with this mixture in a circular motion.
- Let the mixture dry
- Scrub it off with dry hands and then rinse with water.
- Repeat the same procedure regularly for effective results.
Benefits of almond oil for face
It is rated as a mild and safe exfoliating agent for every skin. The clement nature of almond oil makes it relevant for even the most delicate of skin (baby skin). The Health benefits of almonds are numerous and very popular however very few know that its oil form could be a cure for many skin problems.
- Prevents acne and other scars the amount of fatty acid and vitamins A and C present in the final mixture provides a natural emollient for the skin. It helps the skin to lock enough moisture to fight impurities. Emollients are necessary to fight conditions of acne and eczema which could lead to forming scars. Acne forming oil is different it is filled with impurities having negative impacts on the skin, whereas almond oil nourishes the skin and prevents the formation of impurities. It removes sebum, a fatty substance that clogs pores.
- Anti aging treatment as it is enriched with vitamin A, C and E which carry anti-inflammatory properties, it helps repair vital tissues of the skin, also works as a face exfoliating agent to wash off dead skin cells. It provides a shield to combat UV rays from the sun it reduces effects caused by pollution and dehydration. All these properties together provide wrinkle-free skin, repair loose skin not allowing the contaminant to accumulate. All active and moisturized cells help the skin to appear healthy and younger.
- Removes dark circles and eye bags if simply applied below the eyes every night for at least a fortnight it shows a miraculous difference. Eye bags are fatty tissues filled with water that puff up the area below the eye. They are formed due to eating an excess of salt, lack of sleep and lying idle. Dark circles are formed as the skin under the eye is much thinner and becomes loose with time the dark muscles and blood vessels make the area appear darker. However, the fatty acid content and its antioxidant properties help your face shine.
- Helps treat rashes sun exposure causes painful inflammation and redness as this oil is rich in minerals as especially its zinc content helps heal skin faster. Doctors otherwise prescribe medication high with zinc content, zinc-based crèmes and gels for any kind of rash or infection. Almond oil is a natural remedy rich in zinc content and its hypoallergenic property leaves the skin without any side effects. It keeps the skin filled with moisture. Moisture leaves no space for rashes to occur, it fights all sources of rashes. It prevents conditions like eczema and psoriasis. In babies, rashes are common in their nappy areas for which doctors recommend zinc ointments and our almond oil feeds as the best alternative.
- Removes Tan and whitens skin it is also used as a de-tanning agent. When directly applied on the tanned regions it helps remove the dead skin cells also helps the skin to glow. A simple mix mixture of almond oil, honey and lemon juice is very effective for de-tanning treatment. A warm message of preheated almond oil (not heated directly) increases blood circulation. As this all in one nut oil helps to clear the layer of unwanted dead skin cells it gives a way to clear and fair skin.
- Almond oil and make-up. While applying makeup, dab a small amount on the face even before a concealer, it will then act as a barrier not allowing any of the cosmetic products to have side effects on the face and prevents chapping. After applying makeup you can take some almond oil (enough to dab your face) to give a shine, glow to your face. It can also be used as a makeup remover for smudge-proof eyeliner or waterproof mascara. Massage your face with it for 5-10 minutes which will remove all leftover impurities and keep your skin moisturized.
- For luscious lips to have those perfect smooth and soft pink lips almond oil is the best rescuer. This nut oil is rich in vitamin content and it is a great moisturizer for soft, crack-free lips. Whenever lips feel chapped and rough just applying this oil will reserve the moisture throughout the day. Before you add colour to your lips with various cosmetic products, protect your lips from its side effects by just applying a small amount of oil to your lips.
Precautions before using almond oil
- During pregnancy, it is recommended to take doctors’ advice before using almond oil. It has a high amount of heat content which could have adverse effects on the body. It is used to repair stretch marks, however during pregnancy stretch marks are bound to happen. Repairing these marks post-pregnancy is more preferable.
- Breastfeeding women are also advised to consult a doctor before using this oil as it could affect the baby for the baby is generally in close physical contact with the mother.
- Persons with high blood pressure must avoid massaging with lukewarm almond oil it only enhances the blood flow in the body which could be hazardous for high blood pressure patients.
- Persons who have undergone surgeries must avoid using almond oil as it interferes with blood sugar control. One must avoid using almond oil both before and after the surgical process.
- Diabetes patients must consult a doctor before starting to use this mixture and they are advised to regulate their usage for it interferes with the blood sugar level.
- Avoid using an excess of almond oil on baby skin just a few drops could cover the whole skin. Avoid putting oil to their sensitive areas (nose and ears), like some families do it could be very dangerous. Excess of anything could be hazardous for delicate skin.
Possible side effects
- Though it is the most natural remedy a non-comedogenic product with hardly any side effects, overuse of almond oil could lead to troubled skin. Its fast rate of absorption is most useful in limiting skin risks.
- It also interferes with medical treatment because of its high rate of absorption it will be absorbed faster than any other medication.
- Excess of vitamin E, almond oil tends to provide an excess of vitamin E. Excess of anything leads to trouble. When one is consuming vitamin-rich food or capsules almond oil could interfere with their functioning in the body.
- Amygdalin content in this nut oil is toxic for health this is mainly found in bitter almond oil, some uses of which are banned in the United States. Sweet almonds do not have this toxic content hence are safe to use.
Frequently asked questions
Is it safe for children?
- Yes, it is absolutely safe for children, even babies. It is hypoallergenic, hence it has no side effects. It helps to keep their skin soft, moisturized and free of allergies. It is light in texture and will help clog pores with the right material to develop their skin.
What is the difference between sweet almond oil and bitter almond oil?
- Sweet almond oil is made out of sweet almond seeds which are edible and have numerous health and skin benefits. It is an excellent lubricant light and easily absorbed in the skin. It is used in various skincare and face serums. Whereas bitter almond oil is only used for its scent, it has no aromatherapy benefits, hence is never applied directly to the skin or face. It is a food-based product with benzaldehyde content.
Is almond oil edible?
- Yes, almond oil is edible and can be used for cooking. Just as sweet almond oil has several skin benefits, it has overall health benefits for instance it controls cholesterol levels, improves cardiovascular health. Bitter almond oil has toxic content however some amount of it is used while cooking to add flavour.
Do almonds have cyanide content? It could be a slow poison.
- The processed almonds available at grocery stores do have some amount of cyanide content however it is in minute quantity (about 25.2 milligrams) and cannot have any poisonous effects on the body. Cyanide does not accumulate in the body it can be excreted within a day. It can be extremely toxic it is used as poison even in the extraction of gold and silver.
How can almond oil treat acne-forming oil and bacteria?
- Acne causing oil is different and almond oil is different in the elements present. Acne forming oil is filled with bacterial substances while sweet almond oil has curing and moisturizing elements, which clean our skin removing all dirt and bacteria and filling the pores with skin-soothing material.