Although it sounds a little crazy at first, the idea of using natural oils to clean the skin gently actually makes a lot of sense.
The basic idea of oil cleansing is to use natural oils in a specific combination to cleanse the skin and naturally balance the natural oils of the skin.
This produces much more nourished and moisturized skin than traditional facial cleansers based on soap and detergent.
WHAT IS OIL CLEANSING METHOD?
Oil cleansing is a skincare technique in which you apply oil to your face to clean it.
It is a face-cleaning method often recommended by holistic estheticians and followers of Korean beauty and clean beauty trends.
It’s a very all-natural, chemical-free method to remove makeup and it removes even waterproof makeup, as well as excess sebum, bacteria, and dirt collected throughout the day.
Cleansing your face with good nourishing oil is very gentle on the skin.
It can help to avoid all the drying, harsh, and irritating ingredients present in the facial cleanser and keep your skin healthy and blemish-free.
The reason the oil cleaning method works so well is that nothing can dissolve oils on your face better than any other oil.
Like dissolves like is the basic chemical principle on which this theory is based.
In very simple words it means that if you apply oil to clean your face, it will work to break down oil-based impurities, oil-based makeup, sebum, and everything else that blocks your pores and causes blackheads and acne.
It might sound strange, but the oil-cleaning method is suitable for all skin types, including oily skin and acne skin types. Applying the right oil to your skin will not block your pores or cause new breakouts. In fact, it can help you soothe acne inflammation, dissolve excess sebum, balance your skin, and even get rid of acne and blackheads in time.
DIY CLeansing Oil Blend
- 2 tablespoons of castor oil
- 3 tablespoons of sweet almond oil
- 1 tablespoon of rosehip oil
You can also use any carrier oil that you like instead of sweet almond oil.
All you need to do is simply pour all the oils into a clean bottle or jar and mix well.
HOW TO DO THE OIL CLEANSING METHOD?
- Pick up your hair and move it out of your face.
- Take 1 – 2 teaspoons of the cleansing oil to your palm.
- Rub it between your palms and let it warm up a little bit.
- Apply the oil to the dry skin.
- First, don’t wet your face.
- Just apply the oil to the makeup, sweat, and everything else you want to remove.
- Take a few minutes to massage your skin thoroughly, especially in areas with skin imperfections and wherever you can feel muscle tension.
- The oil is safe to use around sensitive areas like around your eyes, so you can remove the makeup even on your eyes.
- However, remember to be extremely gentle with your fingers in that area, try not to tug and pull too much on the sensitive skin.
- Take a clean, soft washcloth and rinse well under running water.
- The water is supposed to be hot, to really warm up the washcloth.
- Press the warm washcloth on your skin (over the oil) and leave it draped until it cools.
(It only takes a few seconds for the washcloth to cool down completely, so repeat this step a couple of times.)
The steam your face and allow the cleaning oil to penetrate even deeper into your pores.
It will enhance the removal of all the impurities from deep inside the pores.
- When you’re done steaming your face, rinse the washcloth again with warm water and wrap it around your fingers.
- Use gentle circular movements to remove the residue oil from your skin thoroughly.
- You can repeat this a couple of times until all the oil has been removed.
If you have sensitive skin or inflamed acne, the washcloth may be too rough for you.
Although exfoliation is great for the skin, too much or too often can cause serious damage to the already irritated skin.
So, try using a softer cloth, maybe a microfiber cloth.
- If it is needed, you can repeat the whole process one more time.
- After the oil wash, use your regular face wash.
- Continue with your skincare routine when you’re done.
- One of the reasons oil cleaning has become so popular is that every type of skin has something to offer.
- Choose the right combination of oils that can help you:
- Deeply cleanse and reduce enlarged pores and remove impurities and excess sebum in a gentle, non-harmful manner;
- Get rid of acne, both by thoroughly cleansing your skin and by soothing acne inflammation;
- Reduce sebum production, control oily skin and remove blackheads;
- The oil nourishes the dry skin, and repair its barrier function.
- Oils also help to soothe irritated skin, as this is one of the most gentle methods and does not disrupt the natural pH of the skin;
- Oil purification also has an anti-aging effect on the skin, as most of the vegetable oils are rich in antioxidants and all of them are thoroughly nourished by the skin;
- Cleansing your face with natural oils brightens your skin and has a healing and healing effect.
- Acne marks and dark spots fade and the skin tone is evened out;
- Massage relieves tension in the facial muscles, helps to flush out toxins, makes the skin firm and supple and improves its texture;
- The washcloth that you use to remove the excess oils exfoliates the skin gently, removes the dead skin layers, dry layer of skin cells, and encourages your skin to produce new, healthy skin cells.
- The Oil Cleansing Method also allows you to avoid chemicals and harsh ingredients that would normally end up using in the process.
WHICH OILS TO USE?
- For dry or mature skin, you can use heavier, more nourishing oils, such as olive, sweet almond, sunflower, avocado, etc.
- Rosehip oil is also wonderful and suits almost all skin types. It contains powerful antioxidants like vitamins A and C that can help to brighten the skin and boost the cell turnover of the skin.